My 5 year year old is having his very first sleep over at his cousins house. When he asked to go my heart broke a little inside yet how could I deny him? My little man.
His face lit up when we decided it was ok to let him go. I helped him pack his little bag and hugged him tight. He cried. I held back my tears so I could be strong for us both. After we made sure he had our number and knew how to dial it in case of an emergency and he had everything he needed we once again made sure he was ready for this big step.
He looked up at me with tear filled eyes and said "I want to go mommy but I want to leave something behind so you won't forget me" My eyes started to tear up. He took out his notebook and wrote his name down for me. I pulled out the paper and told him I would hold onto it until he came back.
He called me and I once again told me that if he got scared he knew how to reach me. He told me "I am a brave boy mommy, and I have my sword and my gun to protect me!" (These were the new toys his aunts had bought him) He told me goodbye and reassured me that we would see him soon. He told me he loved me and he let me go.
Letting go, it is the hardest thing to do. This is just the first of many. I am filled with a sadness and a joy. I am so proud.
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How sweet! I can't wait to experience that someday. Hope you guys are great.. your little girl is so cute!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. It was so hard to let him go but I knew he was ready. He sounded so happy on the phone. I miss him so much.
ReplyDelete